sabato 21 marzo 2020

An event in history - covid 19

Wetterzeube. Every event in history brings with it an interpretative problem. Nietzsche, perhaps exaggerating, said that there are no "facts", only "interpretations". This also applies to the coronavirus event. As Don Luigi Giussani (a priest in Italy: 1922-2005) taught us in the "religious sense", we are always dealing with methods that are appropriate or not appropriate to the object we are talking about, but certainly we are also dealing with a legitimate plurality of methods, to deal with the sense of the same object. On covid 19 we can speak on a biological level, for example about its possible mutations. We can reflect on the psychological consequences of such a phenomenon, on its legal, political and economic impact.

On the philosophical level, the Aristotelian category of the "causa finalis" should be the most fertile one, but we are unfamiliar with it. Apart from my friend Adrian Walker, I hardly know anyone who would be able to say anything clever at this level.

On an ontological level, the philosophy of being as a gratis gift is capable of thinking both dimensions of gratuitousness - both the "frustration" and the "gratis" - the "not at all" of gratuitousness is certainly the most supportive response we can give at the moment of this crisis that makes us see how thin the "ice of nihilism" (Balthasar) from which we have been walking for a long time is; it gave me pleasure, among other things, how this morning reading the work at home of a pupil of the tenth class, she read some aphorisms of the Greek philosopher Anaximander as a balance between "justice" and "solidarity": one can not only "take" but also "give" if the cosmic balance of solidarity is not to be defeated.

These different levels are present to me, although I, given the crisis and the dramatic situation in Lombardy, but also in many other parts of the world - a friend of mine from France, who has a sister who works as a psychologist and who has become infected (which she accepts as a gift to have a two-week respite), says that in hospitals the atmosphere is surreal. I said given the dramatic situation I focused on following "Peter" (the pope); the gesture of attending the Pope's Holy Mass at seven in the morning was for me the way I could verify what Don Luigi was saying, always in the "religious sense": Only Christ has such words, that if those are not true, then we are lost. Quoted freely.

Having said that, when a friend wrote somewhere today that we are underestimating the consequences of the loss of legal and political freedoms acquired through hard struggles, I must admit that I myself had asked myself this question. As I asked myself the question about what consequences this "lockdown" has on the labour and economic level. Even the extreme measure proposed by Donald Trump of an enormous social intervention by the state (something more unique than rare in the USA), says a lot about the dynamics of the current economic crisis.

In any case, not being an all-rounder (a guy who knows everything) and not having an answer for all these problems, I limit myself mostly to following "Peter" as a "judgment of presence in the world" and beyond.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento